Saturday, March 30, 2013

Review of We Choose Virtues

I was recently provided the We Choose Virtues curriculum to try out.  When I heard about this, I was eager to see what it was all about.   Now mind you, *I* think my boys are great.  They really are nice young men, overall.  That being said, they are humans and don't all of us humans have some things we could work on!  I liked the idea of focusing on particular virtues as a family and really making an effort to practice them.
 

The We Choose Virtues website has this to say about their curriculum:

We Choose Virtues is Simple. It is based on a clear and positive language that everyone can learn together

We Choose Virtues is Inspiring. It is teaching by demonstration and learning through practice

We Choose Virtues is about Character...more than attitudes or actions, it is who you are when no one is watching

We Choose Virtues Lasts. It creates an internal standard in each person and transforms the culture of your home or classroom.


I was provided with several components of the We Choose Virtues to try out.  I received:  Kids of Virtue Coloring pages, Family Character Assessment, Memory Verses, Bible Heroes and Truths, Teacher's Handbook, a product comparison chart, and a Butterfly Award that you can give to your student when they've "mastered" the virtues.  Best of all, I even received the colorful We Choose Virtues Flash Cards.  These were large, and vividly colored, so grabbed my children's attention right away. 

The Teacher's Handbook give alot of points for classroom use, ie large group, but also had tips for homeschooling parents.  It breaks down step by step how to use the curriculum, and really brings the whole program together.  It's a key element to the  program.  That being said, it's a easy read, I read through it in one sitting, taking about an hour.   I went back and read it again, just before implementing the  program with my boys.    The program also has a Family Assessment, which helps each family determine which virtues they might need to focus on first.  I enjoyed the fact that many components were downloadable, so I was able to get started right away, in terms of prepping myself to implement the program with my family.

The virtues that are instilled are simple, everyday virtues that are important to everyone, but ones that can be overlooked in the daily grind of everything we parents need to teach in our children.  I loved the idea of really putting focus on one particular virtue at a time.  Some of the virtues that the curriculum covers are:  Diligent, Kind, Obedient, Forgiving, and more.

My boys enjoyed the coloring pages that go along with each Virtue Flashcard.  We used those to create a Virtue binder, where we stored our coloring pages for fun review.   The coloring pages are well done, have a professional look to them, and were cartoon type animals that were also highlighted on the flashcards.  I actually choose the Secular version of the program but they also offer two other versions, the Old/New Testament, and KJV.  These versions will incorporate Bible verses into the virtue study.  So something for everyone!

We enjoyed using We Choose Virtues, and I felt that each week I could see my boys integrating what they had learned from the program into their daily lives and behaviours.     I would recommend this program to any family that wants to focus, in a fun way, on getting back to the basics, and reviewing and practicing virtues that make us all better humans!



No comments: